8 Effective Solutions on How to Heal Dry and Rough Hands
During covid-19 pandemic that started in Spring season 2020, hand washing has been proven as one of the most effective ways in killing the virus. People start practicing to wash and sanitize their hands very often for at least 20 seconds per wash just to avoid the virus. When the winter season arrives, as the cold air gets stronger, washing your hands multiple times, the more natural sebum is removed from the skin and it will lead to dry and rough hands problems. It’s a very uncomfortable condition which everyone would like to avoid.
The dry air in winter can also make it more challenging to keep hands moisturized and hydrated. For behold we bring you good tidings of great solution to your dry hands concern. We will share with you classified solutions for your present and maybe future dry hands.
Causes of Dry and Rough Hands Skin Concern
Dry and cracked hands are usually a sign that our skin is not absorbing enough moisture. Extremely dry and cracked hands are caused by a lack of hydration in the skin which one of the factors is caused by a lack of moisture in your surrounding air.
Our body’s natural defense to keep itself cool is perspiration, but when we don’t get enough water or it evaporates too quickly because of dry weather, then prolonged dehydration will form rough, patchy and worst-case scenario, cracked skin on our fingers, palms and sometimes even in between joints. This then will prevent blood from circulating properly which can lead to pain and other health issues like rheumatoid arthritis.
Other causes could be an unhealthy skin barrier that leads to the loss of sebum after washing and a lack of natural moisturizer. The natural sebum and wax (natural moisture barrier) that present in your skin, protects you from harsh temperatures and helps your natural skin defenses to protect you from stressors and bacteria.
How to Heal Dry and Rough Hands Skin
Here we list down some tips that can help:
1.Apply Moisturizer Immediately after Washing Your Hands
The good news is that you can correct this skin concern with a moisturizer which replenishes lost moisture from the skin. When applied regularly after washing your hands, it can keep your skin healthy by restoring hydration and providing vital nutrients for healthy cells. Moisturization helps restore the moisture barrier and seal in the moisture.
“Creams and ointments are better than lotion texture moisturizer. The most effective ones will be petrolatum (Vaseline). Anything with alcohol based may be drying to chapped skin.”
She also advises people to get an extra overnight treatment before going to bed.
“Apply thick moisturizer all over your hand skin, then cover it with cotton gloves to get more absorption rate. Turn on your humidifier at night, since high humidity can help dry skin’’.
Below we list down a few of top rating Hand Creams to heal dry, cracked and rough hands.
Price Checker for L’Occitane, Shea Butter Hand Cream (Classic)
For centuries, shea butter has been used to moisturize and heal skin. It is an ingredient in many African and traditional body care products. The L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream’s formula helps protect your hands against dryness while still leaving them soft as a result of its rich blend of fatty acids that penetrates quickly into the skin without being greasy or clogging pores. Additionally, this hand cream is enriched with 20% organic Shea Butter, organic Spring Honey and Sweet Almond Oil which provides an intense dose of moisture for dry hands. The L’Occitane hand cream can be used for dry, rough or cracked hands that need a hydration boost.
+ Original Pink Hand Food Hand Cream
Original Pink Hand Food Hand Cream is an award-winning formula hand cream that nourishes and hydrates dry, cracked and rough hands, by providing the most natural hydration and leaving them soft. This product is formulated with Shea Butter, Almond oil, Grape seed oil, Althaea officinalis root extract and Macadamia oil. It has a light fragrance that refreshes and hydrates the hands’ skin. This hand cream can be used on all skin types including sensitive and very dry skin. These ingredients absorb quickly, and they are non-greasy and non-sticky so they won’t leave residue on the skin.
2. Use liquid hand wash that has a moisturizing property such as oatmeal, aloe or almond oil.
Oatmeal is rich in lipids and proteins, and this makes it capable of hydrating and nourishing dry skin. To learn more about ingredients that are suitable for dry skin, you can check it here, in our Dry Skin Ingredients Library.
3. Hydrate your Skin from the Inside Out
Having the right diets is important to keep your body hydrated all the time. Having enough nutrients that can support moisture barrier strength and collagen, can slow down your skin ageing process. You can achieve this by having the right foods to help replenish lost moisture from your body.
- Berries – Anthocyanins which are responsible for the blue color of berries have antioxidant properties that help scavenge free radicals to protect the collagen in skin.
- Watermelon – This wonder fruit is made up of more than 90% water, means it will be really hydrating for your body. As we know hydration will help moisturize, plump and soothe the skin from the inside out.
- Strawberries – It is known for its brightening effect since strawberry contain Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (SAP), the most stable form of vitamin C.
- Milk – Milk contain calcium which is important in regulating the skin function, by replenish the old skin cells. And also vitamin D that contain microbial properties that can calm acne-prone skin.
- Eggs – Eggs contain 28% lipids which contain ceramides that also known as essential glue that holds the skin cell together. Ceramides help protect the skin barrier and tone down trans-epidermal water loss.
- Bone Broth – This food are rich in collagen and gelatin which are really essential for skin health, especially for aging skin treatment. Collagen main function is to re-shape your skin to look rigid and plump.
- Nuts – Nuts help increase elastin in your body, which are responsible for skin firmness and appearance. Elastin keeps your skin pliable and elastic.
4. Wash your hands with cold or warm water, not hot water.
An easy way to dry out your hand skin is by washing it with hot water. Cold water or warm water can remove the same number of germs from your hands based on CDC Recommendations for hand washing, but for cold water you may need at least 30 seconds to make it work.
5. Dry off your hands quickly before going into the cold air outside, during the winter season.
6. Apply a moisturiser or oils before going out in the sun or a dry environment.
7. Wear proper Hand Gloves when Cleaning or Gardening.
By wearing gloves, your hand will be less dirty and this will avoid germs or bacteria from reaching the skin. You will not need to use hand wash after these activities just to clean your hands.
8. Use a Portable or Mini Humidifier
A portable humidifier is an effective and simple way to add the right amount of humidity to your surroundings. Whether you are a housewife or working lady, portable humidifiers can be brought along wherever you go to help balance the exposure you’ve had to harsh, dry surrounding air. It essentially adds a cool mist of water to the air in your nearest space and helps your body keep hydrated.
We hope these guides will be helpful for you. You can leave a comment below if you have any related questions for this topic.
Stay safe, stay healthy.