Achieving that flawless, smooth skin texture is not as easy as it sounds especially when you are aging. Your body part, the skin start slowing down it’s collagen production and has hard time to shed dead skin cells. Skin is constantly reproduced every day and you commonly lose hundreds of thousands of dead skin cell every day. Without proper exfoliation, those dead skin cells can clogged pores and trigger another problem such as dull, uneven tone and mainly uneven texture. If it is discoloration concern, you can just hide it with a dab of concealer; but when it comes to uneven skin texture, it is a lot harder to mask and hide it with makeup products.
This article will give you all the information you need to know about how to achieve your perfect skin texture with ease!
What Is Uneven Skin Texture?
The first step to achieving that flawless, even skin texture you’ve been dreaming of is understanding what an uneven skin texture is. Uneven skin texture can go hand-in-hand with uneven skin tone but it’s a totally two different concerns. Uneven skin texture can appear in many ways including redness, bumps, pits, flakes, rough patch, blotchiness, build-up of excess dead skin cells on the skin, clogged and large pores or wrinkles. And what is the ideal skin texture? It should be soft, supple and smooth. Ideal skin texture means your cell turnover is working at optimal levels, with adequate firmness in your skin. Meanwhile, uneven skin tone is more due to hyperpigmentation and combination skin, where you have dry part that look like dull and oily part that a bit shiny.
Read more here about: Melanin suppression to fix hyperpigmentation concern
An uneven skin texture can be caused by many factors including genetics, hormones, UVB-ray damage, loss of collagen, environmental pollution, lack of exfoliation and also your daily diet. Just one of the factors such as bumpy skin can be caused by different type of skin disease such as psoriasis, acne scars or contact dermatitis. Those with scarring acne can get atrophic scars, and zits can lead to popular scar. If you want to achieve a more even skin texture, it’s important to create an effective skincare routine targeting the root cause of certain skin concern.
Causes of Uneven Skin Texture
+ Sun exposure & Environmental Stressors
Environmental stressor such as free radicals, and excessive exposure towards UV-ray without proper SPF protection can trigger red bumps and dry patches that lead to uneven texture. Excessive exposure towards UVA ray might impact your skin tone, meanwhile exposing for a long time to UVB ray without proper protection could impact the skin cells and lead to increase skin roughness. The signs of aging due to these factors very likely to appear on the face since this part have the thinnest skin compared to other body part.
+ Air pollution & Skin inflammation
Skin damage done by free radicals can damage your skin’s natural oils which then promotes inflammation around follicles and can lead to breakouts. Inflammation is a driving factor in acne and dark spots2 called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). Without proper care, acne concern may lead to another damage which is unevenness in skin texture in term of scar and clogged pores.
+ Bumpy & Rough Skin
Usually, it is related to scarring, acne and aging process. This type of concern can be treats with chemical peels, microdermabrasion, facials, microneedling and topical medications. Acne can cause skin inflammation, red bumps, blackheads and flushing, which can give the skin an uneven texture. Double cleansing method can do some quick fix to solve this. Use cleansing oils for the first step in the morning as it helps cleanse the skin while not over drying or stripping the moisture from skin, and hydrating cleanser for second step. If the uneven texture is caused by blackhead commonly on the sides of your nose, oil treatment is a good option to consider. Facial oil can help reprogram the skin to not producing too much sebum in the first place. It also can help seal natural hydrators to avoid loss of moisture from the skin.
*Note: Sunburn and Dry Skin concern user might want to skip the exfoliation process, and focus on keeping improve the skin barrier function to maintain hydration level.
+ Large Pores
Excessive sebum, loss of collagen and aging play an active role to make your pore appearance become larger. A proper skin routine is needed when it comes to treat large pores appearance.
+ Aging Skin
When you are aging, you tend to loss more moisture from your skin, your collagen production begins to slow down, and there are decrease in sebum production. All these factors can create aging sign on your skin such as fine lines. Over time, if without proper treatment, all these fine lines can develop into deep wrinkles and creases.
Chemical exfoliants such as chemical peel can be one effective method to quickly get rid-off, the top layer of skin. Like salicylic acid, or glycolic acid get absorbed at a much deeper level. Chemical exfoliation also suitable for sensitive skin over physical exfoliation because it creating less friction and inflammation. Exfoliating 2-3 times a week can help remove all those dead skin cells. Tretinoin which is a type of retinoids is stellar at decreasing fine lines and wrinkles, improving skin texture, and minimizing the appearance of pore also great at treating aging skin that cause by excessive exposure towards sun UV ray.
Related: Best Chemical Exfoliation for 2022.
When it comes to scar, you will need a dermatologist help and a professional treatment since scar effect the dermis and subcutaneous layer. You will need a deeper treatment to fix it since creams only help on superficial layers like the epidermis.
+ Chemical peels
You might want to try this method to clear up troublesome uneven skin texture. Chemical peel can give a quick reset by removing the outer layer of the skin. Common side effects include redness and irritation, but it all depend on type of peel, percentage and the way your doctor’s experience in dealing with your skin concern.
Related: 7 Things to Know Before Getting a Chemical Peel for Dark Skin
It involve minimal invasive epidermal resurfacing procedure to treat uneven skin texture. It works on all skin types and colours. It removes the outer layer of your skin, stimulating new cell growth without causing scarring or colour change. Side effects are minor, and downtime normally in a few hours.
Related: 11 Exfoliators that are Gentle Enough for Sensitive Skin.
Stick to a Skincare Routine
You will need a preventive skincare routine to fix uneven skin texture concern and maintain that smooth and silky texture. The key is consistency. Typically, it takes about 45-60 days to see any real change on your skin. Be mindful about the ingredients when choosing it as part of your skin routine. Choose oil-based products since it can helps regulate sebum production.
- Exfoliate the dead skin, cleanse it and wash away all those impurities. The frequency of exfoliation depends on your skin type, for oily or normal skin, twice a week is already enough. Avoid too abrasive products that could damage the skin barrier or trigger excess sebum production.
- Treat with suitable ingredients based on your concern. If you have hyperpigmentation concern, then vitamin C serum is one of the best options for your skin. Retinoid can help speed up skin cellular turnover, boost collagen and smooth the texture of your skin. Antioxidant are a must have item in your routine, green tea extract and alpha-lipolic acid are a great agent in repairing skin cell damage. Vitamin C is a must-have ingredient to fix uneven skin texture since it can protect skin from environmental stressor such as free radicals, with its powerful antioxidant properties. It also can help restore scar tissue, boost brightness of skin and restore skin suppleness.
- Hydrate and lock-in those moisture. Moisturizing can help keep your skin supple, smooth and conditioned. Renew your moisturizer layer for every 6 hours to get maximum nourishment.
- Lastly, be religious about your sunscreen routine. Protect your skin against excessive UV ray exposure with a broad-spectrum mineral sunscreen, SPF30 or higher to prevent formation of sunspots and pore enlargement on your skin. Without proper protection, long exposure towards UV ray can lead to dehydrated and irritated skin.
- You can do extra weekly-treatment routine such as microneedling to help boost collagen production. You can get quick and noticeable results using this technique.
- Maintenance of the skin is important especially when you have scar or old scar that need to be tone down. Patience is key since it involve repairing your skin top layer.
- Get a healthy lifestyle routine with enough sleep, consistent workout and a healthy diet plan. It will benefit your overall skin condition and also your mental well-being.
- Hydration all the way. Staying hydrated through-out the day can help improve your skin texture. Drink enough water, apply your moisturizer and get a humidifier to balance surrounding humidity level. These 3 steps can minimize trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL) from your skin.
Related: Understand Skin Anatomy to Understand Your Skin Concern